Kamis, 20 April 2017

Conditional Sentence



Conditional Sentence

Conditional sentence (sentence modality) is a sentence that expresses a hope or a picture of a reverie in the form of a conditional sentence. Sentence modality consists of two parts: the main clause (main clause) and the if clause (clause). In the if clause contained in the conditions that must be met in order for the state as contained in the main clause can be realized.

In English Conditional sentence, the Conditional clause (protasis) is dependent clause, most commonly introduced by the conjuction if. Other conjunctions or equipment expressions may also be used, such as unless (meaning “if……not”), provided(that) and as long as.

Verb form in
US CLAUSE
Verb form in
RESULT CLAUSE
Meaning
1.      Present Tense
S+V1+s/es
S+to be(am/is/are/has/have
Future Tense
S+will+v1
Real in Present/Future
2.      Past Tense
S+V2
S+ to be(am/is/are/was/were/will
Past Future
S+ would+V1
Unreal in Present/ Future
3.      Past Present
S+Has+V3
Past Future Perfect
S+Would have+V3
Unreal in Past





1.    First Conditional
 
“First conditional” or conditional I refers to a pattern used in predidictive conditional sentences,i.e. those that concern consequences of a possible future event(see types of conditional sentences). In the basic first conditional pattern, the condition is expressed using the present tense (having future meaning in this context). And the consequence using the future construction with will (or Shall).

Example:
1. If I have a screwdriver or the proper size, I will fix your bicycle. 
2. If he has a sharp razor, Jack will shave today. 
3. If I think the ice is amazing, I will go skating. 
4. If we leave her in the house alone, our cat never will eat. 
5.    If you make a mistake, someone will let you know. 
6.  If he has stirred by 10 o’clock, I will wake him. 
7.  If they all do their best, the party will be great.  
8.  If Bob tidies up the kitchen, Anita will clean the toilet.  
9.  If I have free time, I will studing. 
10.  If he has time, he will take a walk in the park.

2. Second conditional
 
“Second conditional” or “conditional II” refers to a pattern used to describe hypothetical, typically counterfactual situations with a present or future time frame (for past time frames the third conditional is used). In the normal form of the second conditional. The condition clase is in the past tense (although it does not have past meaning), and the consequence is expressed using the conditional construction with the auxiliary would

Example:

1.      If I liked parties, I would attend more of them.
2.      If it rained tomorrow, people would dance in the street.
3.      If she find out, she’ll kill me.
4.      If the weather were very bad, we would take the train.
5.      If I went to the post office, I would get you some stamp.
6.      If the weather were very bad, all campus would closed.
7.      If I played the lottery, I would have a chance to hit the jackpot.
8.      If I hit the jackpot, I would be rich.
9.      If I owned a lonely island, I would build a huge house by the beach.
10.  If Sarah studied hard, she would passed
 
3.      Third conditional

“Third conditional” or “conditional III” is pattern used to refer to hypothetical situations in a past time frame, generally counterfactual (or ar least presented as counterfactual, or likely to be counterfactual). Here the condition clause is in the past perfect, and the consequence is using conditional perfect.

Example:
1.      If you had called me, I would have come
2.      If I had helped him, he would heve succeeded
3.      If you hadn’t understood this math problem, I would have explained to you.
4.      If you hadn’t driven more carefully, you would have had an accident
5.      If he had made a large sale, he would have taken his his wife out to an expensive restaurant.
6.      If her husband hadn’t llike her new dress, she would have returned her new dress to the store.
7.      If the midfielders had passed the ball more exactly, our team would have had more chances to attack.
8.      If the forwards had run faster, they would have scored  more goals.
9.      If you had asked me, I would have helped you.
10.  If we had gone to the cinema, we would have seen my friend Leni.

Note:
In writing conditional sentences, we may put the “IF CLAUSE” before the “RESULT CLAUSE” and vice versa.
However, we must put comma(,) at the end of the “RESULT CLAUSE”if the “IF CLAUSE” is put before the “RESULT CLAUSE”.
Also, the meaning of the fact must be on the contrary with the conditional sentence. So, if the conditional sentence is in positive form, the fact will be in negative one and vice versa.


Resource:
English book, Gunadarma
https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/conditional-sentences

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar